Run with Eric + weight training

making the most of some downtime

Over the last several months, I've been struggling with an issue with my achilles... what I fear is the beginning of tendonitis. This is something I haven't mentioned before primarily because if I did it might become real and I would have to stop ignoring it.

Somehow with the help of a lot of ibuprofen, stretching and ice I managed to get through the preparation for both Oceanside and Wildflower without too many problems. After Wildflower, I took a couple easy weeks which I thought would help. But when I tried to ramp my running back up in late May, it became clear to me that I couldn't ignore it any longer. Waking up nearly unable to walk was a good signal that I needed to take some steps to address the issue before I did some serious damage.

It's been over two weeks since I've run a step, the longest break from running I've taken in nearly 3 years. I'm also getting regular ART treatments to help loosen my calves and am stretching a lot. The pain upon waking up is gone, though both tendons are still a little tender to the touch.

As much as it pains me to stay off the roads, I'm going another 2 weeks before attempting to run.

In the meantime, I'm staying fit with some time in the pool, on the bike (making a point to avoid excessive dorsiflexion), and the elliptical trainer. I'm also taking advantage of the forced off-season to work on an area of fitness that I've long neglected - strength training.

Key areas of focus:
Core strength
Leg strength and power

my basic routine (either done with kettlebells at home or with free weights at the gym)

  • squats (quads, glutes, hamstrings as well as core stabilizing muscles in abs and lower back)
  • hang cleans (quads, lower back, deltoids, biceps, traps, calves)
  • deadlift (lower back, hamstrings)
  • pushups (chest, triceps and core stabilizers)
  • lat pulldowns or pullups (lats, biceps)
  • planks (prone and both sides) (abs, obliques, back)
  • swiss ball crunches (abs, obliques)
Thats it. All in all, it takes me about 40 minutes and I'm whupped. Notice that all are compound movements with the exception of the ab stuff. I start with very light or bodyweight only resistance to practice the proper form, then move up to moderate weight from there (10x135 for squats or 10x95 hang cleans, for example).

I'm really enjoying the change in routine... and I'll tell you what. If you don't think weight lifting gets the heart rate up, do a set of hang cleans. Those suckers are tough.

fitness, Freedom, Life, road, RUN, running, Strength training, TIME, training, and more:

making the most of some downtime + weight training