Run with Eric + workout

2007 Heartbreak Ridge Half Marathon

Things seem to be rolling once again.

I had a bit of a scare last week with some hip/groin muscle 'tweak' thing going on, the result of a inadvertant misstep on the track. But it seems to be better and this week turned out great with some excellent training and even better, an unexpectedly good race result. All of this is an indication to me that I'm doing something right. Whether that 'something' is on purpose or merely accidental, I honestly don't know... but I'll accept it gladly.

Before I get on to the race report, let me take a moment to touch on last week's training.

  • 6 runs. 50.3 miles. 5 hrs, 55 minutes including a race on Saturday. New volume high for the year.
The details aren't that interesting. The only thing of note is that I skipped a track workout this week to avoid aggravating my dodgy hip flexor.

On to the race report.

If you aren't familiar with this event, the Heartbreak Ridge Half Marathon is a race put on by the Camp Pendleton Marines. San Diego has a lot of options for great half-marathon races, including La Jolla, Carlsbad, AFC, and San Dieguito. Heartbreak Ridge stands out as both the hilliest course and the only one that is 90% off-road. It's also the smallest with only about 800 competitors. If you like the half-marathon distance, this is a great race to put on the calendar as it provides a challenge that is a nice change of pace from the 'typical' road course. The out and back route meanders through the foothills. No buildings, no cars... just a nice trail run through the wilderness. With aid stations every mile! The only downside is that there is no spectator access on most of the course... but there are plentiful words of encouragement coming from the Marines working the aid stations.
On Saturday, my day began with typical race morning stuff to get ready for the 8:00 am start. This is a 'training' race, my primary focus is Long Beach in a month. So, the plan is to simply run a conservative race... I've heard that this is not a PR course. Here's the mile-by-mile report.

  • mile 1 - 5:58. Typical quick start... settle into a spot somewhere in the top 20.
  • mile 2 - 6:45. Move from the pavement onto the dirt path... and head up. And up.
  • mile 3 - 6:50. Very steep climb, but its short... appropriately there is a aid station and an ambulance waiting at the top. I briefly consider climbing inside. My HR must have been 250 at this point... ouch.
  • mile 4 - 6:08. Short downhill, then flat. Catch a few people on this stretch.
  • mile 5 - 6:16. Rolling terrain. Feeling pretty good.
  • mile 6 - 6:14. Very slight descent. I count runners ahead of me coming back from the turn-around. I'm in 10th. Time to the turn-around is 41:56.
  • mile 7 - 6:22. False flat stings a bit... but still feeling ok.
  • mile 8 - 6:29. Finally a little descent to catch a bit of breath!
  • mile 9 - 6:56. More climbing. I see 2 guys in the distance that I seem to be gaining ground on.
  • mile 10 - 6:42. Flat than another climb. Move past one guy on the climb.
  • mile 11 - 6:41. Final climb than downhill.
  • mile 12 - 6:08. All downhill, do my best to let gravity do the work. Catch another runner just before the #13 mile marker.
  • mile 13.1 - 6:59. Back on pavement again... just try to hold it together for the final stretch.
Final time - 1:24:34. 8th overall, 1st in M35-39.

My first AG win... and the time is a PR for me.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the result. The increased mileage combined with the speedwork seems to be working out. My recovery seems to be fine... I was a little stiff after the race, but had a comfortable 1 hour run on Sunday with very little residual soreness. That, to me, is an indication that I ran within my ability and didn't negatively impact my ability to continue with my current training cycle.

Freedom, Life, pretty, race, racing, road, RUN, running, TIME, training, and more:

2007 Heartbreak Ridge Half Marathon + workout