Run with Eric + triathlon

2007 Camp Pendleton International Triathlon

This was my first Olympic distance race in over a year, since Wildflower last year. I'd been focused on 70.3 racing lately, so I was looking forward to a shorter race day.
Based on last year's results and some back of the napkin math with my expected splits, I realized that a AG podium spot might be in the cards... so that was in the back of my mind as I prepped my gear on Friday night. Other than that, my pre-race goals were to break 2:15 overall and get under 40 minutes for the run, both of which would be lifetime bests for me.

Regardless, my plan as always is to take what the day gives me and make the best of it. Doesn't always happen, but that's the plan anyways!



Pre-race: Typical stuff... 5am wake-up, coffee, english muffin, drive to race start, ride to transition area, get my gear ready. The usual drill.


Swim: The swim was in the Camp Del Mar boat basin at Camp Pendleton. At Oh-Eight-Hundred on the dot, they played the National Anthem... Very cool moment. The announcer was great, very enthusiastic and was getting everyone pumped up!
I was in Wave #4, Civilian Men 35-39, green caps, and went off at 8:20. Lined up front and center. It was my first time using my blueseventy Element googles in a open water swim (I usually use the Aqua Sphere Seal Masks), breaking the cardinal rule of trying something new in a race. But they worked great. Clear, good visibility, no leaking. Excellent goggles. Overall, the swim was uneventful, got into a good rhythm pretty quick and didn't have any issues with crowding or sighting. A nice change as I usually find myself going off course at least once every race. Glanced at my watch as I exited the water, 21:10, a Oly swim PR for me. My wife yelled at me that I was 2nd in my wave out of the water... I passed a guy carrying a green cap during the the long run in the sand to T1. So, I was leading my AG at this point. Cool! A nice touch was a Marine with a hose to rinse sand off the athlete's feet. My official swim time was 24:07, which I think included the run to transition.

Bike: Pretty quick transition, then off on the bike. Was riding a set of Blackwell 100's, these are very nice wheels... I felt strong as I exited Camp Del Mar and headed out on the course. I've ridden this route many, many times in training. Its mostly rolling with one minor climb. Just as I went over the 5 Fwy bridge, I was passed by a guy in red tri suit from my wave... he went by me like I was standing still. Ouch. No issues up the first and only climb on the course, stayed in the big ring and just stood up and cranked it out over the top. All the turns were very well marked by lots of cones and had Marines yelling encouragement. They really do a great job! My plan was to ride pretty hard all the turn-around and back to the Stuart Mesa descent, then relax and refresh for the last couple miles into T2. Stuck to the plan, and was not passed by anyone else until about 1/2 mile from transition... by a guy with an 'M' on his calf. Not in my AG, so I should still be in 2nd in my wave at this point. Rolled into T2, 1:04 and change based on my bike computer. About 4 minutes better than my best case scenario so I am pumped!! Official bike split, 1:09:33, which I believe included T1 and T2.

Run: total race time is around 1:33 at this point... need to run under 42 to get under 2:15. I'd better hustle!! Once out on the run course, the cloud cover has cleared and its hot... I dump water on my head every chance I get. There are no mile markers, so I just try to focus on keeping the pace high and keying off the guys in front of me. About a 1/4 mile from the end of the first loop, a guy with C-37 on his calf flies by me. I try to hang with him for about 100 yards, but the pace is too hot and I fall off... Hit the first loop in just under 20 minutes... ok, I'm on pace to break 40. Now its very hot out, so I get lots of water and gatorade from the aid stations. Catch the red tri suit guy about 1/2 mile from the finish... back in second and hold that all the way to the finish.

Final time of 2:12:40, run split 39 flat.

I'm stoked! Hang around to see the official results posted... 2nd in my AG, 6th Overall. My first top 10 ever! It was very cool to hear my name announced during the awards ceremony.

Lots of high fives all around... one of my friends takes the overall Military win as well. All in all a great day. The Marines do a great job in putting on a well-organized, top notch event.

Freedom, Life, pretty, race, racing, RUN, TIME, training, and more:

2007 Camp Pendleton International Triathlon + triathlon