Run with Eric + training

wake up call

Our dog has cancer.

Kona, our beloved Rhodesian Ridgeback, who has been a part of our life since my wife and I got married, only has a couple months to live. Three or four if we're lucky. He is not even 8 years old.

Before we left for Wildflower, we noticed he had a slight limp. A quick exam at the vet revealed nothing, but he thought it might be a slight sprain from jumping out of our van. Take two painkillers and call me in
the morning. A week later, we get a call from my sis-in-law, who was dog and house sitting for us. The limp is much worse. We take him back into the vet after we get back from our trip. The symptoms have multiplied. Severe limp. He can barely walk now. Weight loss (15 lbs in 10 days!). Loss of appetite. Swollen shoulder joint. Swollen stomach. Doc says, I hate to tell you this, but I think it may be bone cancer. Let's get some x-rays to get a better look.

X-rays reveal massive tumors in his shoulder joint. Possibly some in his belly as well. Now we see the oncologist on Thursday to see what to do next. Options are chemotherapy and possibly amputation of the offending limb.

I woke up this morning and our four-year was lying on our bedroom floor next to Kona, hugging him. I nearly lost it.

I really don't give a rat's ass about training or racing right now, I just want to go for a walk with my dog.

Freedom, Life, and more:

wake up call + training