Run with Eric + TIME

2007 Oceanside Turkey Trot

Once again, it was time to move my feet before I ate... a short 5K race (2 actually), then a Thanksgiving with family, football, and, of course, plenty of turkey and all the fixings.

The Oceanside Turkey Trot is a relatively new event, this is the 2nd year... and already it is developing quite a following. There is both a 'locals only' race for Oceanside residents only as well as a 'open' race for everyone else and this year, over 2000 people participated.

I decided beforehand to run in the 'open' race for time, then run the 'locals' race as a cool down.

Well, it was a short race... hence a short report.

Pretty standard warmup. 2 miles easy jog in warmup pants and sweatshirt to get a sweat going. Stretch for 10 minutes, focused on calves and hamstrings... then 5 x 100 strides before shedding the extra clothes and making my way to the start line. It was pretty cool out, a shade under 50 degrees at the race start.

The gun went off right on time at 7:15. The first mile was a little hot... 5:32, as I got sucked into a fast front group. It became clear pretty quick that I couldn't hold that pace, so I backed off the throttle a bit and watched the fast guys leave me behind. I really concentrated on maintaining good form, with a nice arm swing and staying relaxed through the 2nd mile. Mile 2 split - 5:52. Oops, a little too relaxed... a little more of a drop-off than I planned.. The route turned downhill and onto the Strand (the sidewalk on the beach) and the finish line appeared in the distance. Started to catch some guys and hammered it all the way home. Mile 3 split - 5:43. Got into a little sprint at the finish... won this time, unlike last year when I got smoked.

Final time 17:45, 3rd in my AG, 24th Overall.

A 47 second PR... so I'm stoked. Got some water, a banana and made my way back to the start to run the local's race. A nice easy cool-down pace... roughly 7:30/mile for a finish time of 23:15.

All in all, a good day's effort and it was rewarded with a great day with my family and lots and lots of turkey.

Freedom, Life, pretty, race, racing, RUN, running, and more:

2007 Oceanside Turkey Trot + TIME